Don’t think of your Self Storage space as a place just to dump stuff.
To get the best value from your Self Storage space, it’s best to be organized before you store.
Here are some tips to help you:
- Make a list of all packaging materials you might need like boxes, bubble wrap, tape, mattress covers, rope and labels, we can help you with those items and it is best to come pick them up before you start packing.
- Come and visit and check out the Storage space that you have booked. Take a list of which you are going to store and the manager can help you to make sure that you have booked the right size.
- Book your removalists, they often need at least 30 days’ notice.
- Pack your Storage wisely and use up all the space. Big items at the back.
- If you have a larger space leave a space down the middle so that you can get a large items. Your removalists will thank you!
- When you put labels on your boxes put them on more than one side as they may not packed label side up.
- Protect your items in the Storage unit by covers blankets or sheets,
- Big items like beds and tables should be disassembled and wrapped up. Label pieces so that you know how they’ll get back together. Put bolts into Ziploc bags and tape them to the item.
- Make sure that all appliances that are stored are clean. Try and leave doors open on fridges to avoid mildew.
- Store mirrors and paintings and large flat objects on their ends. Do not store flat.
- To avoid rust, and a little bit of WD-40 on most items will protect them while they are in storage.
- Insure your goods.
- Don’t store food items: they will perish.
- Do not use newspaper to wrap items; the ink will bleed. We have special packing paper in our office.
- Do not give out your password for your gate code to anybody other than you have greater access to.
- Don’t store flammable material and drain petrol from whipper snippers, mowers and chainsaws.
Being organized before you store is the way to get the best value out of your Self Storage space. Happy storing!